Some people think that finding PURE sabah local food needs to search in rural areas or local people says as, “kampung” (means village in BM) areas. Worry no more as they’re growing very well here in Sabah to promote their dishes in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah!
Sabah, the budget state of Malaysia, has an abundance of food. A quick google search returns hundreds of results for all types of food. The best place to find local Sabah food is in the food market.
However, if you are looking for something a little special, then here are some places to eat where you can experience sabah local food from Kota Kinabalu.
List of Sabah Local Food
A) KADAZAN DUSUN TRADITIONAL DISHES
Proudly presents you Kadazan Dusun’s traditional dishes, one of our tribe in Sabah, Malaysia. They are famous for local food served on Linopot (rice mixed with boiled yam & steamed in leaf).
Here are the list of Kadazan-Dusun’s traditional dishes:
- – Linopot (rice mixed with boiled yam & steamed in leaf 荷叶蒸米饭与芋头)
- – Hinava (tuna fish salad with mixtures of bitter gourd, ginger, shallots, chilli and some lime dressing 金枪鱼沙拉配苦瓜，生姜，青葱，辣椒和桔子酱)
- – Bintorung Linugu (grilled eggplants/brinjals 烤茄子)
- – Pakis (wild fern 土产野生蕨类菜)
- – Tuhau (local wild pickled ginger 土产野生腌姜)
- – Bosou Sayur (fermented mix vegetables 发酵杂菜)
- – Lomiding (local wild fern 土产野生蕨类菜)
- – Sunsulag Langangon Ikan bilis (root of yam with white chilli and anchovies 芋头根与白辣椒和江鱼仔)
- – Bosungan (marinated and deep fried big-eyed scads 油炸腌制大眼鱼)
- – Losun (wild spring onions 野生青葱)
- – Bambangan (seasonal wild mango 季节性野生芒果)
- – Tinotok Mangga (young mango salad 青芒果沙拉)
- – Keladi Ikan Masin (yam stem with salted fish in coconut milk or “santan” 椰奶或“santan”煮咸鱼芋头梗)
- – Labu Kuning Ikan Bilis (pumpkin anchovies in coconut milk 椰奶炖南瓜江鱼仔)
But where to try at least some of them?
1. Punya Sadap – Sabah Native Delicacies
Punya Sadap – A restaurant with a name that says it all 😋 If you’re truly a pure SABAHAN, you should love our local Sabahan dishes! Why? “Sebab kita orang Sabah bah” ~
Punya Sadap serves Kadazan Dusun traditional dishes mainly listed from the above. (will change from time to time according to the season of the resources)
Besides food, the serves their local drinks too! It is called Montoku, means local fermented alchohol
🍹Happy water (Fresh fruits + Montoku) : Choose either Passion Fruit (photo 9) or Roselle 🍹
🐟 Punya Sadap @Sabahnativedelicacies .
📍 ASquare Container Night Market , Kota Kinabalu, Sabah (next to Promenade Hotel)
⏰ 6:30pm-11pm (Sunday & Monday OFF)
🙅🏻♂️ Serve no pork (but serves Montoku drinks)🙅🏻♀️
2. D’PLACE KINABALU
A restaurant specializing in Kadazan-Dusun’s traditional food in a la carte & buffet style. Traditional dances and performances are also performed daily during the buffet hours.
📍 Lot 2.01&2.02, 2nd floor, Plaza Shell, Kota Kinabalu, Sabah.
⏰ 11:30 – 4pm DAILY & 6pm – 9:30pm (Wed-Sun only) (MONDAY OFF)
☎ +60 16-833 2381
🙅♀ Serve No Pork🙅♂
3. Little Sulap
📍 Little Sulap , No12(C), Jalan Dewan, Austalia Lane Kota Kinabalu.
⏰ 10.00am – 10.00pm daily
4. Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu
📍 Jalan Tun Fuad Stephens, Sinsuran Kompleks, 88000 Kota Kinabalu, Sabah
⏰ Always open
5. My Native Sabah
📍 1st Floor, Block F, Plaza 333 Penampang (6.63 km) 89500 Penampang
⏰ 11.30am – 11.30pm
☎ 016-833 2381
6. Outskirts Eatery
📍 Outskirts Eatery, Lot 5, Off Jalan Putatan Ramayah, Kg. Terawi (3.49 km) 89500 Penampang
⏰ 10.00am – 10.00pm
☎ 016-290 3636
6. VOGS Authentic Sinalau Bakas
📍 Block C, lot 21, Kepayan Point, Penampang Bypass (5.52 km) 89500 Penampang
⏰ 4.00pm – 11.55pm
☎ 013-865 2494
Summary of Sabah Local Food
If you are travelling on a budget and travelling with a group of people, then I would recommend visiting the sabah local food hawker stalls. Hawker stalls are stalls which sell food from a portable stall. They are often set up on the side of the road or on the side of the road.
There is 1 comment